Friday, June 1, 2012

Doing What I Love


As I posted to Facebook a couple of weeks ago, I got my dream job! I love all the support that I got from that statement, but I guess I wanted to clear up a little bit of *possible* confusion. The job I got was to teach ballet, tap, and be a choreographer at Premier Centre for the Arts in Middletown. This is where I studied under some AMAZING teachers including Miss Delaware 1990, Lisa Bonacquisti.

But isn't my degree in finance??? Why yes, yes it is. Four years ago when I was choosing a major I picked business and I told my dad that I'm going to learn everything else I needed to know to open my own studio some day. I spent the rest of my life learning dance, and I started teaching eight years ago, but I had no idea how to run a business. Well I get there and essentially the first 2 1/2 years are the same for everyone in the department, then you choose a concentration. A strange series of events led me to finance, partly because I've always been a math nerd and partly because I wanted to pay off Cedarville as quickly as possible. The truth is I had gotten so caught up in trying to do what I thought I was "supposed" to do as a soon to be CedarGrad. Ring by spring, check. Network like crazy, (Miss Ohio connections) check. Find an apartment in Columbus, check. Try to get a job at a bank, check. I was stressed, depressed, going crazy, and my professors were starting to get concerned.  I had traded in my dreams for what I thought was expected of me, but God has an interesting sense of humor.

 A month after graduation and I feel incredibly liberated.  I had my first "official" day at PCA yesterday substituting for a teacher who was sick.  It was two hours of ballet, jazz, and tap, and I had an absolute blast.  Two of the girls I had when I was student teaching about six years ago, and it was so great to see them all grown up and what great dancers they had become.  So no, I won't make the kind of money I would if I used my degree, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't be this happy either.  For the first time in a long time I truly feel like I can do anything that I want.  I have a few more dreams I want to try to make true, but I'll keep you posted on those when the time comes ;)

love always,
Janemarie

No comments:

Post a Comment